SC rejects Centre’s plea to re-open NRC in Assam

SC rejects Centre’s plea to re-open NRC in Assam


The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered that the list of those excluded from the final Assam NRC be published only online on August 31.

A bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R F Nariman said that like Aadhaar data, an appropriate regime will be enacted for securing the Assam NRC data.

The apex court also said that the ongoing NRC exercise cannot be ordered to be reopened on the basis of certain legal challenges raised before it.

The court said that there will be no re-verification of the data under NRC and at no point in time the NRC exercise will be reopened. The court also observed that only hard copies of exclusion and inclusion should be provided at district offices.

“Those born after December 3, 2004, won’t be included in NRC if any of the parents is a doubtful voter or declared foreigner by a tribunal or is contesting the case,” said the court.

The orders under Illegal Migrants (after the order of the Tribunal) shall be challenged before the Guwahati High Court.

All NRC exclusion should be published only online on August 31.

The top court had earlier said that the final Assam NRC would be published on or by August 31.


Updated by: News Sources 2019-08-13 4:57 PM